Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Picture Boards

It's amazing the frenzy I can work myself into. I was pretty sure looking at the picture boards from my mom's funeral would be an awful, painful, teary experience. Thought they might make me feel sad, which is an emotion I don't need any more of right now.

But guess what? I was wrong.

Decided to take them out and share them with someone on Monday. Again, expecting an outpouring of emotion, I decided to bring them with me to my weekly hour on the couch (it's no secret I'm an advocate of therapy!). 

To my surprise, opening them up and going through the photos with someone who had never met my mom actually made the experience fun. I got to talk about her, tell her story, smile. Heck, I even laughed a bit. 

I have a friend to thank for suggesting I show them to someone... Thanks for your wisdom, Korey. I wish you didn't know firsthand that it would make me feel better, but you do. You're next to "meet" my mom and to hear the stories. Until then, I'm gonna share her beauty, spirit and smile here.

Enjoy!

I'm always amazed that my mom moved to San Francisco when she was 20.
The friend she went with ended up returning home after a few months, but my mom stayed.
Not sure I would have been so brave!

My mom gave us everything she had. Thankfully that included lots of laughter and smiles.

"Ask not what your mother can do for you. Ask what you can do for your mother!"


It was fun remembering her favorite things...
Come to think of it, we should have put "The Sound of Music" on there too!


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the wonderfully therapeutic tears! Those boards are awesome.

    ReplyDelete